Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Egypt... more Egypt stuff...


Here's what I'm reading now!
I'm going to be reading about Egypt's history and trying to learn Hieroglyphic at the same time...
I've really started getting into Egyptology, but I don't know if that's the direction I'll take yet...

The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt by Ian Shaw, but each chapter is written by different scholars...
An incredible book containing the history of ancient Egypt, discussing all the aspects of Egyptian life... pretty excited to "dig" in...

I just have to throw this in real quick... I'm on page 50 and Beatrix Midant-Reynes is discussing the human representations during the Naqada II phase of the pre-Dynastic period and I quote, "Unlike women, men were no longer being solely identified by their primary sexual characteristics, but by a secondary sexual characteristic and the social status that this conferred on them. The beard was evidently a symbol of power, and, in the form of the ceremonial 'false beard', it later became strictly reserved for the chins of kings and gods." Booyah!

4 comments:

  1. You are SO full of it!! I think the fact that archaeology has so many directions it can take you is what will peak your interest. It will always be like you're in a cave. You discover something and form a hypothesis but then dig a littler deeper (figuratively or literally) and you may find a find a whole new avenue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your background being black and "Comments" being gray makes it hard to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just thought of something, maybe you're Amish and just don't know it yet!

    ReplyDelete